.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
0
0
0

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Making The Cut

I am not one for following hair trends. Mine has been long and straight for most of my life, but there is something about the clean sharp lines of a bob that has me thinking about making the cut.

For many women, a new hair style marks a life change, a new relationship, the end of one, becoming a mother, a new era. There is something no-nonsense and even therapeutic about cutting your hair short. Long hair is lovely, but I am hard pressed to think of a woman in a powerful job (outside fashion) with long, tousled hair.

Gwyneth Paltrow's re-emergence into the limelight was marked by a neat bob; Anne Hathaway broke off her engagement and promptly cut a bob; Diane Kruger looks stunning with blond bobbed hair.

I wonder if this short shift is as much a reflection of changing personal styles as it a collective bob-friendly mood.

The decision comes down to maintenance. Shorter hair requires styling, whereas longer hair can always be worn in a ponytail. Bobbed hair conveys confidence and polish, but without styling can verge dangerously close to sorority girl or soccer mom.

Editor of American Vogue Anna Wintour said of her well-known bob that when you find a style that suits, you should remain faithful. I admire this steadfastness. There have been times when either out of passion or boredom I have seriously considered a short crop, a new colour, or fringe, but always lose my courage.

Maybe this is why shorter hair inspires confidence. It takes guts to make the decision, not to mention the follow-through. This also may explain why crossing over to shorter hair makes it easier to go all the way to a Jean Seberg or Mia Farrow crop.

Hair is undeniably sensual, and men often prefer longer hair on women. Maybe it is a sign of my age (early thirties), but the prospect of cutting my hair shorter seems more confident, or comfortable in my own skin.

Undeniably glamorous, a bob is also more grown up. I am not sure if I am ready to go sharp and short yet. I have cut off four inches and am hovering precariously between long and short. Another few inches might be a great new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment